Enid Blyton’s books are beloved the world over and The Famous Five have been the perennial favourite of her fans. Now, in this new series of Enid Blyton for Grown-Ups, George, Dick, Anne, Julian and Timmy confront possibly their toughest challenge yet: parenthood
Bringing up a baby would surely be kid’s play for The Five. How hard could it possibly be?! When the doorbell rings one Saturday afternoon, the last thing the Five were expecting to find on their doorstep was a baby… But the Five are next of kin to Cousin Rupert and his wife, so when they find themselves in a spot of bother and are destined for a short spell behind bars, Anne, Dick, George and Anne are the first port of call. First, it’s the fear and the tiredness that kicks in. They are terrified at being responsible for this new life and have no idea they’re doing it right. Why is it crying? They use Dr Google constantly, who whatever the situation offers the same range of advice from ‘don’t worry about it’ to ‘rush her to the A&E’. ‘Why is she crying?’ they constantly ask. ‘Why?’ It keeps them up all night every night, until they are reduced to walking ghosts, haunted by a numb and impotent fury. Is this an adventure too far for our Five?
Lowest Price: £3.99
Buy from Amazon
“The coolest–and easiest–book for new parents” –Parents magazine
You could read 34 parenting books on sleep, eating, potty training, discipline, and brain development. Or you could read Zero to Five: 70 Essential Parenting Tips Based on Science. Tracy Cutchlow cuts to the chase, summarizing the best scientific research in bite-sized chunks. One tip per page + beautiful photographs = cool + easy.
“The best I’ve seen in a long time.” “My go-to source.” “Fabulous.” –Parent educators, childbirth-class teachers, early-learning advocates
Combining the warmth of a best friend with her simple, clear style, Tracy addresses questions such as:
* Should I talk to my pregnant belly / newborn? Is that going to feel weird? (Yes, and absolutely.)
* How do I help baby sleep well? (Start with the 45-minute rule.)
* How can I instill a love of learning in my child? (With specific types of praise and criticism.)
* What boosts my child’s success in school? (It’s not what you think.)
* My kindergartner loves videos and cell-phone games. That’s cool, right? (If you play, too.)
* What tamps down temper tantrums? (Naming emotions out loud.)
* My sweet baby just hit a playmate / lied to me about un-potting the plant / talked back. Now what? (OK, this is a whole section of the book.)
* How do I get through an entire day of this? (With help. Lots of help.)
Zero to Five is here to help. Make it your guide to the crazy wonderful journey that is parenting.
Lowest Price: £17.27
Buy from Amazon